Birdie Background

Friday, November 9, 2012

Best of Pinterest: Main Dishes

First of all, I'd like to say that I went and made a blogging schedule to keep myself writing all the way through the new year. Will I stick with it? We will see. :)

One of the series I will randomly be doing is the "Best of Pinterest", where I will link you to recipes, ideas, and pins that I have personally tried and approved of!

Pinterest has been such a blessing! My husbands teases me because it is usually my wind-down from the day hobby. After putting the kids to bed, cleaning up the trailer, and showering, I usually lay in bed and browse pinterest or read things I've pinned. And I have found SO MUCH helpful material on there. That's part of the reason I want to keep blogging--because other bloggers have helped me so much (both in the practical and spiritual realms of every day life).

So, here are five recipes that I LOVE using for a main dish for dinner. I will give a quick run-down of each one after I give you the link.

Main Dishes

1. Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken and Easy Fried Rice From Life as a Lofthouse blog

I'm sure you've seen this one floating around Pinterest. Well, I've made it several times and we LOVE it! All I have to do is add that sesame oil to the pan for the fried rice, and my husband tells me over and over again "Wow, that smells so good!" It's minimal clean up (and this coming from someone who lives in a trailer with no dishwasher and a tiny sink!) if you use the same skillet (I use an electric skillet) for the chicken and then again for the rice (I don't bother washing it in between). You may not have all these ingredients, but once you get a lot of them, they will last you quite a few meals. I wish I'd had this recipe when I craved Panda Express my whole pregnancy with Cosette!

2. Quinoa and Black Beans
From All Recipes


Quinoa and Black Beans Recipe
This has been a GREAT dish to make for our family with a picky toddler. Thankfully my daughter loves it! She is just now at 21 months beginning to really eat meat, so I always worried about her protein intake. But, she would down quinoa, and there are so many great ways to make it! I used chicken broth instead of veggie. This freezes really well--make a batch and freeze in quart size baggies for instant toddler meals!

3. Slow Cooker Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken
From Six Sisters' Stuff
 
This is a great one for a busy day. You can have the rice ready to go in a rice cooker (wonderful invention--but add a tablespoon of oil to it before you cook to keep it from burning on the bottom!) and serve a great oven roasted veggie on the side. (Try broccoli cut into small pieces, tossed on a pan in olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and cracked pepper, and baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes--YUM!)

4. Beef with Snow Peas 
From Pioneer Woman
TPW_8020
Ok, this is not really a recipe I've discovered via Pinterest, as my mom and I are avid Ree-fans. BUT, I do have it pinned to my main dishes category so I can find it when the flank steak craving hits. Flank steak is a beautiful piece of beef. I love it, thanks to PW. Do use the low-sodium soy sauce, though. Just a friendly tip. ;)

5.Mini Chicken Potpies
From Quick Dish Recipes
Chicken Pot Pie Cupcakes
Not the most homemade or economical of these dishes, but great for toddlers and husbands, and quick to whip up, especially when you use canned chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment